Aug 26th, 2010 by Annie
Sausage, Walnut and Apple Dressing
A wonderful blend of sausage, apples and walnuts make this bread dressing recipe extraordinary.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour Serves: 8-12
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 ribs of celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 10 cups of day-old bread, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 teaspoons of dried sage
- 2 teaspoons of garlic power
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir in salt and ground sausage. Cook sausage until brown and crumbly.
- While sausage is cooking, peel and core 2 Granny Smith apples. Cut apples into small cubes about 1/2 inch. Add apples and apple cider to skillet once sausage is brown and crumbly. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add 10 cups of day-old bread torn into bite-size pieces. Season bread pieces with dried sage and garlic. Add sausage/apple mixture to large bowl with bread. Pour in chicken stock and mix in with hands. Mixture will be wet. Add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon dressing into a 9 x 13 baking dish*. Bake at 350 degrees F, uncovered, for 1 hour. Dressing should be crusty on top.
This baking dish is so beautiful you could serve directly from it.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.