Jan 28th, 2011 by Lisa
Malawi Relish Greens (Ndiwo) Recipe
In Malawi, they use nsima to scoop up this relish which is usually made with leafy greens, tomatoes and onions. I found this recipe on the Friends of Malawi website. There are a variety of greens you can use, including cassava leaves, sweet potato leaves, pumpkin leaves or cabbage. I chose to use kale for my dish. I also wanted to use dried fish since dried fish and tomatoes are William’s favorite, but I could only find dried shrimp. The taste was a little overpowering and I think this would taste better without it.
Inspired by The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind
Prep: 10 minutes Cook time: 5 minutes Serves: 6
- 3 cups of greens, chopped (I used kale)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- In a skillet or other pan with a lid, sauté the onions until tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes or until greens are tender.
- Serve with nsima or rice.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.