Southern Collard Greens with Bacon Recipe
I’ve never tried this Southern staple before and was surprised that an hour simmer time was required. However, the collard greens were well worth the wait.
I’ve never tried this Southern staple before and was surprised that an hour simmer time was required. However, the collard greens were well worth wait.
Inspired by The Secret Life of Bees
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 1 1/4 hour Serves: 6
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 32 ounce container chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash collard greens. Separate leaves from stems and discard stems. Chop leaves and set aside.
- In heavy pot, cook bacon and onion until bacon is partially done about 5 – 7 minutes. Add collard greens.
- Stir in chicken broth, water, vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.