Prep: 20 minutes | Cook: 20 minutes | Serves: 10-12
- 1 pound large elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cup (12 ounce) shredded white Cheddar cheese, separate 1/2 cup for topping
- 1 1/2 cup (12 ounce) shredded Gruyere cheese, separate 1/2 cup for topping
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cornflake cereal, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and add to a lightly greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and continue to whisk for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and half and half. Cook, continuing to whisk for 3 to 5 minutes until sauce begins to thicken. Add 1 cup Cheddar and 1 cup Gruyere cheese and all of Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper. Stir until smooth.
- Pour cheese mixture over noodles and mix. Sprinkle remaining Cheddar and Gruyere on top of noodles.
- Combine crumbled cornflake cereal, melted butter and crushed red pepper. Sprinkle over macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.