The Wisconsin State Fair Cream Puff Original Recipe
Cream puffs are a staple at Wisconsin state fairs and this recipe is the official cream puff recipe of the Wisconsin State Fair. Enjoy!
Prep time: 35 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes | Serves: 10-12 cream puffs
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into tablespoon slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 4 whole eggs, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
Whipped Cream Filling
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour, or line with parchment paper, a large baking sheet. Set aside.
- Place water, butter slices and salt in large heavy pot. Make sure butter melts completely. Bring water just to boil. Quickly stir in flour with a wooden spoon until soft dough ball forms. Remove from heat. Let dough rest 5 minutes.
- Mix in 4 whole eggs, one at a time. Dough will be thick, sticky and smooth.
- Drop about 1/4 cup puff dough by spoonful, 2-3 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. There should be about 10 to 12 dough balls. Prepare egg wash by mixing egg yolk and milk together with fork. Brush egg wash over each puff dough. Bake for 35 minutes until puffy, golden brown and firm.
- Remove puffs to wire rack. Prick each puff with a toothpick to release steam. Allow to cool for about an hour until completely cool to the touch and firm.
- When puffs are cool and at least an hour has passed, prepare Whipped Cream Filling. Place heavy whipping cream, vanilla and sugar in a chilled medium metal bowl (I place the metal bowl and my metal whisks in freezer while preparing the puff pastry.) Beat until soft peaks form.
- Cut tops off each puff and fill with whipped cream. Replace tops and dust with powdered sugar.
Copyright © 2017 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.