Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 1 hour | Serves: 8
- 1 egg
- 1 cup super fine sugar (caster sugar)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into small places
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 1 1/2 or 2-quart souffle dish or pudding basin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg until light. Gradually beat in sugar.
- Place milk in saucepan over medium heat. Heat milk to warm, but not hot. While milk is warming, place butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir chocolate/butter mixture until smooth, then stir into warmed milk until ingredients fully incorporated. Remove from heat and pour into sugar/egg mixture. Stir well.
- Sift flour, salt, and baking powder into batter. Stir well, then stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into greased souffle dish and cover with tight fitting lid or foil. *(see below for variation) Place souffle dish in a 13x9x2-inch roasting pan of hot water. Water should not extend over half-way up the dish. Place in oven. Bake for one hour or until firm. Serve at once in individual bowls. Delicious served with warmed cream or half-and-half.
*Variation: Batter can be baked in individual 6-ounce custard cups. Fill 8 custard cups 2/3 full with batter. Cover each cup with aluminum foil and place in 9x13x2-inch pan of hot water to bake for 30 minutes or until firm.