Steamed Chocolate Christmas Pudding Recipe
Steamed pudding is more like a dense ultra moist cake, rather than the creamy pudding most Americans are accustomed to. This wonderful recipe is simple and meant to be served straight from the oven. Top each serving with cream or a favorite vanilla or rum sauce.
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 1 hour | Serves: 8
- 1 egg
- 1 cup super fine sugar (caster sugar)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into small places
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 1 1/2 or 2-quart souffle dish or pudding basin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg until light. Gradually beat in sugar.
- Place milk in saucepan over medium heat. Heat milk to warm, but not hot. While milk is warming, place butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir chocolate/butter mixture until smooth, then stir into warmed milk until ingredients fully incorporated. Remove from heat and pour into sugar/egg mixture. Stir well.
- Sift flour, salt, and baking powder into batter. Stir well, then stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into greased souffle dish and cover with tight fitting lid or foil. *(see below for variation) Place souffle dish in a 13x9x2-inch roasting pan of hot water. Water should not extend over half-way up the dish. Place in oven. Bake for one hour or until firm. Serve at once in individual bowls. Delicious served with warmed cream or half-and-half.
*Variation: Batter can be baked in individual 6-ounce custard cups. Fill 8 custard cups 2/3 full with batter. Cover each cup with aluminum foil and place in 9x13x2-inch pan of hot water to bake for 30 minutes or until firm.
Copyright © 2017 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.