Spiced Chocolate Cookies Recipe
These spicy chocolate cookies are delicious and can be rolled into balls, baked and topped with a candy kiss or rolled out for cutout cookies.
Prep: 45 mins | Chill: 1 hr | Bake: 7 mins | Makes: 2 dozen
See picture of blackbird cutout cookies (bottom).
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Blackbird Cookies
For cutout blackbirds (or any type cookie cutters you feel like using)
- Light-color corn syrup
- Black decorating sugar
- Colored icing for eyes and beaks (I use the Wilton Icing Writer) (see NOTE below)
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugars, scrape side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together cocoa, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk flour into the cocoa spice mixture.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture into the butter/sugar mixture.
* For rolled cookies: cover and chill dough for 1 hour
* For cutout cookies: divide dough in half, form each half into a disk, wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
* For rolled cookies: roll dough into balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
* For cutout cookies: lightly flour a work surface and working with one dough half at a time, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out bird-shapes with cookies cutters. Place 1 inch apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until centers are set.
* For rolled cookies: gently press an unwrapped candy kiss in center of each cookie immediately upon removing cookies from oven. Allow cookies to cool completely.
* For cutout cookies: Allow cookies to cool completely. Working with one cookie at a time, brush top lightly with corn syrup then immediately sprinkle with black decorating sugar. Repeat with remaining cookies. Then with icing writer (I used green and yellow), add a dot for eyes, and a small triangle for beaks. Repeat with the remaining cookies. Allow cookies to dry completely.
NOTE: Do not use Icing Gel. It remains sticky. The Icing Writer will dry completely.
Copyright © 2017 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.