Recipe adapted from MY PERSIAN KITCHEN Naan Gerdooee
Prep: 15 minutes | Bake: 20 minutes | Yield: 2 dozen
- 6 egg yolks (reserve 2 egg whites for egg wash)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 3 cups walnuts, coarsely ground
- Walnut halves, to top cookies
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Fit whisk attachment on mixer. Separate eggs, reserving 2 egg whites to use for egg wash. Place yolks in mixing bowl and with whisk attachment on mixer, beat the yolks on high for 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla and beat on high for 1 minutes. Drop speed to low and add slowly add about half of the powdered sugar. Once incorporated increase speed to high and beat for 1 minutes. Drop speed to low to add remaining half of powdered sugar and once incorporated increase speed to high and beat for about 3 minutes until batter become very pale.
- Beat in baking soda and cardamom until incorporated, then fold in the coarsely ground walnuts.
- Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon drop cookies on to prepared pans about 2 inches apart. Prepare egg wash by beating the reserved egg whites and 1 teaspoon of water with a fork. Brush over the top of each cookie. Gently press walnut halves into each cookie, then sprinkle cookies with sea salt.
- Bake cookies for 20 minutes. Allow cookies to cool completely before removing from pan.