Preparation: 15 minutes | Cook: 10-12 minutes
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg*
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the raisins in a saucepan and add 1 cup water over medium heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of the liquid and discard the rest of the liquid. Set the raisins aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter, shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the raisins and the 1/4 cup of raisin liquid.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Stir into the butter mixture.
5. Add the oats and optional nuts and stir well.
6. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
*For an even fresher taste you can buy whole nutmeg and grind it with a standard grater or a special nutmeg grater. You can also get whole cloves but would have to grind them with a mortar and pestle, a spice grinder, coffee grinder or just put them in wax paper and wack them with a hammer.