Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Servings: 8
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup black sesame seeds
- maple syrup to garnish
- honey to garnish
- black sesame seeds to garnish
I chose not to toast the black sesame seeds but you may prefer to toast yours. Some think toasting black sesame seeds imparts a more bitter taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 inch round pan with shortening and flour.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla and maple syrup.
- Add flour mixture and mix well.
- Stir in buttermilk and milk until batter is smooth. Stir in black sesame seeds.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 -40 minutes in preheated 350 degree oven.
- Let cake cool completely before serving.
- Put maple syrup and honey into two different squirt bottles. Place slice of cake on plate and drizzle with maple syrup and honey then sprinkle black sesame seeds on top.