Basic Fruit Berry Pie Recipe
This delicious pie can be made with your favorite choice of berries or cherries. Don’t be afraid to experiment or try different spices.
Prep: 30 minutes | Bake: 35-45 minutes
- Pie crust pastry for 9-inch two-crust pie, prepared and unbaked
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 all-purpose flour
- 6 cups blueberries, raspberries, sliced strawberries, and/or pitted cherries
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, nutmeg, pinch of salt and flour. Add sugar to a large bowl and add flour mixture. Stir to combine. Fold in berries. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Take prepared two-crust pie crust and press bottom crust into 9-inch glass pie plate. Spoon the filling over the bottom crust. Sprinkle lemon zest over the top. Cut butter into small pieces and distribute over filling.
- Cover filling with top crust and cut vents. Seal top and bottom edges of crust together. Cover edge of crust with 2-inch strip of foil or pie crust shield to prevent excessive browning. (This pie bakes at a high temperature so you really do need to cover the edge of the crust.)
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice is bubbling through vents in crust, removing foil for last 15 minutes of baking. Cool at least 2 hours on rack.
Isn’t my little blackbird pie vent adorable?
Copyright © 2017 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.