Day Before Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours | Yield: 1 cheesecake
- 1 cup dark chocolate cookie crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 8-ounce packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur, such as Kahlua
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Adjust rack in oven in the bottom third of oven. Preheat oven to 350° F. With sides and bottom in place, generously butter the sides and rim of springform pan. Set aside.
- In medium bowl combine cookie crumbs and melted butter. Press crumbs into bottom of springform pan.
- To provide a moist heat, which helps prevent the cheesecake from cracking, the springform pan will be placed in a larger pan of shallow water during baking. The springform pan will need to be sealed to prevent water from seeping in. To do this, tear off a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil. Place the pan in the center of the foil and bring foil up sides of pan. Press foil to sides and if foil extends past top of pan, fold it down. Set springform pan aside while preparing cheesecake batter.
- With electric mixer beat cream cheese until completely smooth, at least 5 minutes. Add sugar, salt, and flour and beat for an additional 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together espresso, liqueur, and vanilla until espresso is dissolved. Mix in heavy cream until well combined. Gradually beat into cream cheese mixture and continue beating for 5 minutes, scrapping sides often with rubber spatula.
- Add eggs, one at time, beating until incorporated in batter, before adding the next egg. Only beat until egg is incorporated so batter does not become airy.
- Pour cheesecake batter into springform pan. Place springform pan in larger pan. The sides of the larger pan cannot exceed the springform pan. Pour hot water into larger pan, about 1-inch deep. Carefully transfer to oven.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Check cheesecake after an hour of baking and if top is browning too much, place a large baking sheet on the oven rack above the cheese cake.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Carefully remove the cake pan from the water and transfer it to a rack to cook for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and allow cheesecake to cool completely, about 5 hours. Refrigerate cheesecake overnight.
- To prepare ganache: Bring cream and butter to boil. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate. Allow to stand for 4 minutes. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour ganache over chilled cheesecake. Avoid letting ganache drip down sides. Refrigerate 30 minutes longer. Wrap hot damp cloth around pan and let sit for 1 minutes. Release and remove springform pan.
Baking cheesecakes can sometimes be tricky. Tips for baking cheesecakes can be found here.