Prep: 20 minutes | Cook: 55 minutes | Serves: 4
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Pour 4 cups of water in a large sauce pan. Add chickpeas and boil. Turn down heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes. When done simmering, coarsely mash chickpeas with a hand held masher. Do not completely mash the chickpeas.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium skillet and saute onion and garlic until onions are translucent. Add salt, cayenne pepper, turmeric, cumin and coriander. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, lemon juice and sugar. Mix well. Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to medium low and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato mixture to chickpeas. Stir until completely mixed. Let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve with chapatti