Creamy Black-Eyed Peas Soup Recipe
This creamy flavorful Black-Eyed Peas Soup is a perfect way to eat your black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day for good luck.
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: approximately 30 minutes | Servings: 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 slices of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 cans of black-eyed peas (15.8 ounce), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 8-ounce carton of sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- Soy sauce for garnish
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Thyme sprigs for garnish
** Have all your ingredients measured out in small bowls before beginning. There are only a few minutes between each step.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil and heat until lightly smoking. Add bacon and cook for 3 minutes. Add chopped onion and red pepper flakes and saute for 1 minute. Add minced garlic and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add tomato paste and mix well. Add chopped thyme and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add black-eyed peas and saute for 2 minutes. Add dry white wine and reduce until all liquid has evaporated, approximated 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and bay leaf. Turn up heat and bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Stir in sour cream. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve in bowls with a plate of white rice garnished with drops of soy sauce, lemon wedges and thyme sprigs on the side.
Copyright © 2017 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.