Jul 15th, 2011 by Annie
Artisan French Onion Soup Recipe
French onion soup topped with a toasted slice of crusty french bread and oven melted Gruyere cheese is quite an impressive site to behold. This soup recipe is one of my favorites and has a bit of mozzarella cheese added for a little extra umpf.
Inspired by Clara and Mr. Tiffany
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours Serves: 4
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 3 cups of beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 thick slices crusty French bread
- Olive oil (to brush over bread)
- 8 slices Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Melt the olive oil and butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onions and salt, and stirring frequently, cook until onions are a deep caramel color, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Stir in the broths, and red wine. Add the bay leaf and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Reduce the heat to low, mix in vinegar, thyme, parsley, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Preheat oven broiler. Place bread slices on a baking sheet with sides and lightly brush both sides of bread with olive oil. Broil for about 1 minute on each side until toasted. Remove baking sheet from oven and place bread on platter. Do not turn off broiler.
- Arrange 4 large oven safe bowls on the baking sheet. Remove soup from heat. Ladle soup into each bowl, filling about 3/4 full. Top each bowl with 1 slice toasted bread, 2 slices of Gruyere cheese and 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese. Then top with a pinch of paprika.
- Place baking sheet with soup under the hot oven broiler for 5 minutes, or until bubbly and a nice golden brown. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.