Dec 20th, 2010 by Marilyn
Traveller’s Beef Stew Recipe
Comfort food at its best, Traveller’s Beef Stew is slow cooked for eight hours in a crock pot. Serve with Irish Soda Bread to soak up all the delicious Guinness Stout flavored gravy.
Inspired by The Outside Boy
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 8 hours Servings: 6 – 8
- 2 pounds beef stew meat (can also use boneless lamb)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme (1/2 tsp if fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 cup Guinness Stout
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 5 small potatoes, red, cubed with the peels on
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Trim stew meat and cut into 2 inch cubes. Evenly coat the meat with the flour. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the vegetable oil. Brown each side of the meat. Add the bay leaves and allow the meat to cook for another 1-2 minutes, then remove the meat from the pan and place in a crock pot, the bay leaves will remain in skillet.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, thyme, and rosemary to the skillet and saute until the onions become translucent. Pour in half of the beef stock to deglaze the pan. Carefully pour contents of skillet over the meat in the crock pot. Add the rest of the beef stock and the Guinness Stout.
- Place the carrots and potatoes over the ingredients already in the slow cooker and add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.