Traditional Cottage Pie Recipe
My sister-in-law Lori prepared this awesome Irish Cottage Pie for our Brooklyn book club party. There wasn’t a bite left and she kindly shared her recipe with me.
Prep: 1 hour | Cook: 30 minutes | Serves: 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 14.5 ounce can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs (your favorite combination)
- dash Worcestershire sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and carrot and cook over a medium heat until soft. Add the ground beef and cook until brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, mixed herbs and Worcestershire sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in water until soft. Drain and mash with the mustard, butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the beef/vegetable mixture into a casserole dish. Top with the mashed potatoes and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Copyright © 2017 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.