Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce Recipe
This hearty spaghetti sauce is easy to make and sure beats jarred spaghetti sauce.
Serve with Crusty Rosemary Garlic Bread.
Inspired by Solomon’s Oak
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes (includes spaghetti cook time) Servings: 6
- 8 ounce package of spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 28 ounce crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- Crushed red pepper as garnish
- Grated Parmesan as garnish
- Cook spaghetti according to package.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until onion becomes translucent. Add garlic, sage and parsley and saute for 1 more minute. Add tomato paste and stir for 1 minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes to pot and bring to a simmer. Stir in the basil and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, stirring often, until the sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the butter. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti noodles with crushed red pepper and grated Parmesan cheese on the side.