Aug 7th, 2010 by Annie
Shrimp and Sausage Paella Recipe
Paella is a traditional Catalan rice dish which often combines tierra y mar (land and sea). This dish is extremely versatile with land/sea and vegetable substitutions limited only by your imagination.
Inspired by The Angel’s Game
Click here for more book club party ideas for The Angel’s Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Serves: 8-10
- 1 pound ground Spanish sausage (can substitute Italian sausage)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound of hard Spanish chorizo, thinly sliced (can substitute hard salami)
- 3 cups of white rice
- 1 bag of frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon of powdered saffron
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound large shrimp or prawns, heads removed, peeled and deveined
- In paella pan, cook ground sausage and onion in olive oil. When ingredients are sizzling, add the thinly sliced green and red bell peppers, reserving about 5 or 6 strips of each pepper to top paella dish later.
- Add garlic and stir until sausage is fully cooked. Mix in hard chorizo slices. Stir in the rice, peas and saffron.
- Allow the paella to boil gently for about 15-20 minutes. Do not stir during this process, but turn the pan occasionally to ensure even cooking. Most of the liquid will be absorbed.
- Arrange the shrimp and the reserved green and red bell slices on top of the paella for a nice presentation. Cover the paella with a large pizza pan, cookie sheet or foil and allow shrimp and paella to cook for about 10 minutes, until shrimp is pink and all liquid is absorbed by the rice.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.