Dec 2nd, 2010 by Annie
Sholeh-Goshti (Braised Meat, Mung Beans, and Rice) Recipe
Delicious Afghan braised lamb or beef, simmered with mung beans and rice, and topped with spicy, tangy cilantro chutney.
Inspired by The Kite Runner
Prep Time: 1 hour Cook Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes Serves: 6
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) mung beans (green lentils can be substituted)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz boneless lamb in ¾ -inch cubes (beef can be substituted)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dill seed
- salt and black pepper
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- Wash the mung beans and soak for half an hour in warm water.
- Heat 1/3 cup of oil in a large saute pan with cover and saute the onions until translucent. Add the meat, tomato paste and garlic. Stir occasionally until the meat is browned. Add 2 cups, mung beans, dill, salt and black pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover with a lid and cook gently for about 45 minutes, adding water, as needed.
- Add rice. Stir well. Add red bell pepper and ½ cup water. Cover with tight fitting lid, and turn the heat to low. Simmer the rice and meat slowly for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water, if needed.
Top with cilantro chutney.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.