Russian Stuffed Cabbage Recipe (Golubtsy)
This is one delicious stuffed cabbage recipe. The sauce really pulls all the flavors together. The next time I make it, I will use 2 cabbage heads so I could use only the thinner, more pliable outer leaves rather than having to use the stiffer inner leaves. I added an egg to this recipe to help the beef and rice bind together better.
Prep: 20 minutes Cook time: 40 minutes Serves: 8
- 1 head of cabbage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup rice, cooked
- 1 onion, chopped and sauteed
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large pot, boil enough water to cover the cabbage head. Place the head of cabbage into boiling water and cook for 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a colander to drain. Carefully remove the cabbage leaves from the head.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground meat, rice, sauteed onions, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well. Place about 3 tablespoons of beef mixture in center of each cabbage leaf and wrap.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan and lightly brown the cabbage rolls. Place seam side down in a large baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk water, sour cream, flour, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour sauce over the cabbage rolls (I reserved a few tablespoons of the sauce to spoon over the cabbage rolls after I plated them).
- Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.