Rosemary Fennel Chicken Provençal Recipe
The subtle flavor of fennel is the key that makes this chicken dish extra special.
Inspired by Sarah’s Key
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Servings: 6
- 1/4-1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 whole head of garlic, peeled and separated
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped in 3-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 sprigs of fresh fennel fronds
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Course salt and coarse ground black pepper, to season chicken
- About 3 to 3 1/2 pounds of chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley
Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic cloves, celery, and onion. Saute until onions are translucent and beginning to brown. With a slotted spoon, remove garlic, celery, and onion from skillet and place in bottom of 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle fennel seeds over top of vegetables. Then place fennel and rosemary sprigs on top.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and saute in oil in skillet. Add additional olive oil, if needed. Brown chicken on all sides. Place browned chicken over vegetables in baking dish.
- Add wine to remaining oil in skillet and with wooden spoon stir and bring to boil. Continue boiling for about 5 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken in baking dish. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil, then bake for 10 more minutes. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.
Recipe adapted from the Friday Night Chicken Provençal with Fennel and Garlic recipe from Joan Nathan’s Quiches, Kugels, and Couscous: My Search for Jewish Cooking in France (Alfred A. Knopf, 2010)
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.