Roasted Stuffed Cornish Game Hens Recipe
A Cornish game hen is a small chicken heavily fed for about 5 weeks, then slaughtered to produce a two-pound, single serving chicken. Cornish game hens are sold as a specialty or gourmet item.
Inspired by The Spiritualist
Click here for more book club party ideas for The Spiritualist by Megan Chance
Prep Time: 45 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Serves: 6
- 4 cups of brown rice and wild rice blend, cooked
- 6 whole Cornish game hens, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pound mile ground pork
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, leaves included, finely chopped
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt, pepper, and your favorite poultry seasoning, to taste
- 1/2 cup of butter, melted
- Prepare brown rice and wild rice blend according to package directions. Set aside. Wash and pat dry Cornish game hens. Place hens on large baking sheet with sides. Cover and place in refrigerator.
- In a large skillet, combine the oil and flour and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the ground pork and cook for about 6 minutes, continually breaking up the pork and stirring. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery. Cook for about 6 more minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir chicken broth into pork vegetable mixture until combined. Add rice and stir until coated evenly. Break apart clumps. Add salt, cayenne, and garlic. Stir until rice is heated through.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Stuff the pork/rice dressing into the cavity of each hen. Season each Cornish game hen with salt, pepper, and a favorite poultry seasoning to taste. Tie the legs together tightly with cooking string to close the cavity. Brush each hen with melted butter. Roast in oven for 30-40 minutes until hens are golden brown and internal temperature is 150° F.
- Allow hens to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with green beans.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.