Red Aloo Gobi Saag Recipe
Don’t be alarmed by the color of this dish. It is traditionally yellow but Christopher, the main character in “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time” loves Indian food, especially Aloo Gobi Saag, but he does not like yellow so his father puts red food coloring in the dish. Aloo means potato, gobi means cauliflower, and saag means spinach or mustard leaf. Serve with grilled Naan (he also doesn’t like brown, so food coloring will need to be used for this as well).
Prep: 25 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Servings: 8
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 head of cauliflower, separated into florets
- 1 cup pureed spinach
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onions, garlic and cumin seed. Sauté until onions translucent
- Add the spices, except for garam masala, and water and mix well. Add the potatoes and cauliflower and coat them with the sauce. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Add more water during the cooking if necessary.
- Remove from the heat and add the garam masala.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.