Aug 8th, 2011 by Marilyn
Pakistani Roast Chicken with Tomato Yogurt Sauce Recipe
This chicken is roasted with a spicy tomato yogurt sauce for a flavorful main dish. Serve with Biryani with Raisins, Nuts and Peas.
Inspired by Three Cups of Tea and Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: approximately 1 1/2 hours (20 minutes per pound) Servings: 6
- 4 pound whole chicken
Tomato Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for the tomato yogurt sauce and mix well. Set aside.
- Remove giblets and rinse chicken. Pat dry with paper towels and set in roasting pan.
Take a sharp knife and gently separate the skin from the breasts of the chicken. Wash hands thoroughly.
- Now it time to get your hands messy. Pour sauce over the chicken. Rub over tops and sides of chicken, inside chicken cavity, and under separated skin on breast.
- Place chicken in preheated oven and cook for approximately 1 1/2 hours (20 minutes per pound), basting every 1/2 hour. Make sure internal temperature of chicken is 165 degrees.
To serve, slice chicken breast and remove legs and wings, place on platter and spoon tomato yogurt sauce on top.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.