New England Pot Roast Recipe
This recipe is the ultimate comfort food! I think about mom every time I prepare this dish.
This beef pot roast recipe is from Betty Crocker
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 3 1/2 hours Serves: 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 3.5-4 pound boneless beef chuck shoulder
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons pepper, or to taste
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar (8 oz) prepared horseradish
- 1 cup water
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and into rounds
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil. Salt and pepper roast on both sides, then cook roast over medium heat until brown on both sides. Do not move roast while browning. Reduce heat to low.
- Carefully lift up roast and add onion and to the bottom of the pan. Set roast on top of onion and garlic.
- Carefully spread horseradish over top of roast with spoon. Add 1 cup water to Dutch oven. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 2 hours 30 minutes. *see below for variation
- Add potatoes and carrots to Dutch oven. Cover and simmer about 1 hour or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Reserving the broth in the dutch oven, remove beef and vegetables to warm serving platter; keep warm. Whisk together cold water and flour, then gradually stir into broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Continue to stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Serve gravy with beef and vegetables.
- To carve the roast, place on carving board or serving platter so the meat grain runs parallel to carving board. Holding meat in place with meat fork, cut meat across grain into 1/4-inch slices.
*Variation: Omit horseradish and 1 cup of water. Add 1 cup of dry red wine instead.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.