Mar 17th, 2011 by Annie
Kartoffelsuppe Mit Wurstchen Recipe
This is an easy to prepare, delicious, traditional German sausage and potato soup. The fresh dill makes this soup extra special.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 1 1/2 hours Serves: 8
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 links good smoked pork sausage (German or Polish), cut into 1/4″ rounds
- 1 lb small red potatoes, scrubbed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill
- salt, to taste
- coarse ground pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add sliced onion and cook until onions are caramelized, approximately 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add garlic to pot and cook for 3 minutes. Add sausage rounds. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes. Add the red potatoes and chicken stock. Add enough water to completely cover the potatoes and sausage. Add 1/2 cup of the fresh dill. Cover the pot and allow soup to simmer for about an hour on low heat.
- Remove the soup pot from the heat and taste the broth. Add salt and course ground pepper to taste. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of fresh dill.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.