Greek Pastitsio (Meat and Pasta Pie) Recipe
Pastitsio is a baked Greek meat and pasta casserole made with béchamel sauce.
This recipe was adapted from Modern Greek by Andy Harris.
Andy Harris’ recipe is made with 2 homemade sauces – a meat sauce and béchamel sauce. To save time making the dish, I tried it with jarred sauces. Based on how good it turned out, I imagine it is amazing with homemade sauces.
Inspired by Middlesex
Prep: 25 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes for pasta and meat, 40 minutes in the oven Serves: 12
- 1 pound ziti (I used penne instead)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons grated kefalotiri or parmesan cheese (I used parmesan)
- 1 cup béchamel sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 jar of chunky marinara (45 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 cups béchamel sauce
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated kefalotiri or parmesan cheese
- Pasta: Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the ziti and simmer for 10 minutes until almost soft. Drain in a colander and transfer to a large bowl. Allow to cool, then add the beaten eggs, cheese and béchamel sauce and toss until well coated.
- Meat sauce: In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown the ground beef in olive oil. Add the marinara sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To assemble to pie: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 baking dish with melted butter.
- Spread 1/3 of the pasta evenly in the dish and cover with half the meat sauce. Add another 1/3 of the pasta and cover with the remaining meat sauce.
- Spread the remaining pasta over the top and spoon on the béchamel sauce, smoothing it over the top. Sprinkle on the breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is golden. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
|For a prettier presentation when serving this dish, I very carefully slid it into a pasta serving bowl. I added a few more sprinkles of breadcrumbs and parmesan to the top before serving.|
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.