Aug 23rd, 2010 by Annie
Eggplant Parmesan (Melanzane alla Parmigiano) Recipe
Eggplant Parmesan (or Melanzane alla Parmigiano to the Italians) is a delightfully understated dish.
Inspired by The Wedding Officer
Prep Time: 1 hour Cook Time: 30 minutes Serves: 8
- 3 large eggplants
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 36 ounce of crushed Italian tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup of olive oil, to fry eggplant
- 1 cup flour
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese slices, drained and patted dry with paper towels (buffalo mozzarella to be truly Neopolitan)
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or more to taste
- generous handful of fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- Peel eggplant and cut into thick slices. Lay eggplant slices on a baking sheet and sprinkle salt over each slice. Set baking dish at an angle for 30 minutes for juices to drain and draw the bitterness out.
- In saucepan* over medium-heat, add tomatoes, garlic, shredded carrot and red onion. Simmer until ready to use later in recipe.
- Heat olive oil in heavy skillet* to fry eggplant. Put flour in bowl to dredge eggplant. Once oil is hot, dry eggplant with paper towels and quickly dredge in flour. Fry eggplant in olive oil until golden brown on both sides. Carefully remove eggplant and allow to drain on paper towel.
- In a 9 x 13″ baking dish*, lay a single layer of eggplant slices. Add half of the simmering tomatoes. Sprinkle 1/2 Parmigiano Reggiano cheese over tomatoes, then lay half of the Mozzarella slices down next. Add pepper, then repeat layers. Top with fresh basil. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.