Chopan Kabob (Lamb Kebob) Recipe
Kebobs grilled over an open flame with fresh vegetables is always a hit, but try it with this Afghan style marinade of yogurt, cilantro, and garlic. Delicious over beef, as well.
Inspired by The Kite Runner
Marinate Meat: 24 hours Prep Time: 15 minutes Grill Time: 15 minutes Serves: 4-6
- 1 pound lamb cubes (beef sirloin can be substituted)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon yogurt or sour cream
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, quartered and separated
- 1 tomato, cut in wedges
- 1/2 pound whole mushrooms
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges
- In a medium bowl combine the yogurt, olive oil, onion powder, garlic, cilantro, parsley, salt and pepper. Spread over meat and let marinate at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Prepare outdoor bbq pit for medium-hot heat. Remove grill, clean grill and spray with cooking oil (to prevent kebobs from sticking.)
- While pit is heating, alternately, thread meat and vegetables onto six skewers.
- When fire is ready, place grill over bbq pit. Place kebobs on grill and cook about 6-8 minutes, then flip kebobs to other side for another 6-8 minutes.
- Serve with rice and wedges of lemon.
Copyright © 2014 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.