Oct 10th, 2012 by Annie
Chicken Périgourdine Recipe
Chicken Périgourdine is a rich and flavorful dish prepared with mushrooms and Hollandaise sauce. It is prepared and cooked in a large cast iron skillet, topped with Hollandaise sauce, then placed under the broiler to brown. Garnish this dish with your favorite fresh herbs and serve with a fresh salad and french bread.
Inspired by The Chaperone
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Servings: 4-6
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to season chicken breasts
- 8 tablespoons butter (1/2 cup butter), in all
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound of fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cooking sherry
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash cayenne pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Wash and pat dry chicken breasts. Season both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- In a large cast iron skillet with metal handle, add 2 tablespoons of butter and olive oil. Melt butter over medium heat, then add chicken breasts. Gently brown chicken breasts. Remove to plate. Add another tablespoon of butter to skillet and add mushrooms. Sauté mushrooms until golden. Remove to bowl.
- Add remaining four tablespoons of butter to skillet. When melted stir in flour, cooking sherry, chicken broth, salt and heavy cream. Stir until thickened and smooth. Return chicken breasts to skillet. Simmer covered for 10 minutes. Add mushrooms to chicken and sauce in skillet. simmer covered for another 10 minutes. Prepare Hollandaise sauce during the simmer time.
- Sauce: In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with an electric mixture at high speed until thick. Slowly beat in 4 tablespoons of the melted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat in salt and cayenne pepper. Beat in remaining melted butter, one tablespoon at a time. Preheat oven broiler to high.
- After simmering period, uncover the skillet and spoon the Hollandaise sauce over the chicken. Place skillet under preheated broiler until sauce is golden. Garnish with fresh herbs. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.