Authentic New York City Hot Dogs Recipe
An authentic New York City hot dog is made with an all-beef frank and topped with mustard and an onion-tomato sauce.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Yield: 8 hot dogs
New York Style Onion Sauce
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 8 hot dog buns
- 8 all-beef franks, such as Sabretts
- Your favorite mustard
- Sauerkraut, if desired
- Combine the first 10 ingredients of the onion sauce in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for 40 minutes. Add ketchup and Worcestershire. Simmer for 1 minute. (As an alternative, place the first 10 ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low heat while at work. Then add Ketchup and Worcestershire, turn up heat and simmer for 1 minute.)
- Grill or steam hot dogs and warm buns. Place hot dogs in buns. Squirt mustard, then spoon onion sauce over hot dogs. Top with sauerkraut, if desired.
|I love this little hot dog roller. It is so fun to pull out for a kid’s birthday party or for a retro-themed party.|
Copyright © 2014 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.