Salty and Bittersweet Chocolate Chip Pistachio Cookie Recipe
Joy the Baker had posted a wonderfully, scrumptious recipe on her website for a dark chocolate, pistachio and sea salt cookie. When I began work on my post for “The Sandcastle Girls” by Chris Bohjalian which is partly set in Syria during World War I, I wondered if I could play with this recipe and give it a bit of an Armenian/Middle Eastern twist. Joy’s recipe already had pistachios and sea salt, so I added some orange flavor and substituted the dark chocolate chips for bittersweet chocolate chips. The result: WOW!
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 18 minutes Yield: 2 dozen
- 1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange oil, I used Boyajian Pure Orange Oil
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1-1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, such as Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- 1 cup pistachios, shelled and coarsely chopped
- sea salt to sprinkle over cookies
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour and baking soda together in a medium bowl and set aside. Cream together butter and sugars until smooth and well blended. Beat in egg, vanilla, orange oil and orange zest. Beat for 3 minutes.
- Mix in flour and baking soda until fully incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips and pistachios. Drop by teaspoonful on baking sheets. Liberally sprinkle sea salt over each cookie.
- Bake for about 18 minutes until just beginning to brown on the edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on baking sheets.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.