Peaches in Wine and Brandy Sauce Recipe
Fresh peaches stewed in wine and brandy syrup is a fabulous fresh-tasting dessert with a nice little kick. Use only the fresh, firm peaches when making this dessert.
Inspired by The Paris Wife
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Serves: 4
- 4 large peaches, ripe and firm
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/3 cup brandy
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Vanilla ice cream
- Fresh mint, for garnish if desired
- Peel and slice the peaches into eighths. Set aside. In a large heavy skillet, add the sugar, wine, and brandy over medium heat. Stir continuously until sugar is dissolved.
- Place peaches in the skillet with the wine syrup. Spoon the syrup over the peaches and add the cinnamon stick. Add just enough water to cover the peaches. Bring mixture to boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for about 7-10 minutes. Peaches should be soft but NOT mushy.
- With a slotted spoon, remove peaches from skillet and set aside in bowl. Remove cinnamon stick and bring syrup to boil. Continue to boil for about 5 minutes to reduce syrup in order to allow flavors to intensify.
- Remove from heat and return peaches to the wine syrup. Spoon syrup over peaches and allow mixture to cool slightly.
- In pretty individual glass serving bowls, place a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a spoonful of peach slices, and then spoon warm syrup over the peaches and ice cream. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired and serve immediately.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.