Oat Crunch Apple Pie Recipe
This apple pie has an oats-brown sugar-butter topping which adds crunchiness to an All-American dessert.
Inspired by The Glass Castle
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour Serves: 8
- Pie pastry for one 9-inch single-crust pie
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 cups (about 3 pounds) of cooking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (my favorite are Jonathan, Winesap, or Rome)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare pie pastry for 9-inch single-crust pie. Roll out pastry and line pie plate. Carefully trim edges. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of flour in the bottom of pie shell and with dry pastry brush, spread evenly over bottom. Place pie shell in freezer while preparing filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together cinnamon, salt, sugar, and flour. Add apples and mix gently to coat apples. Spoon mixture into prepared, unbaked pie shell.
- For topping, stir together flour, oats, and brown sugar. With a fork, mash in the softened butter until mixture is crumbly. Spoon oat crumb mixture evenly over apples. Place strips of foil or a pie crust shield around edge of crust to prevent over-browning. Bake for one hour or until topping is golden brown. Cool completely before serving.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.