Aug 26th, 2011 by Annie
Neapolitan Cake Recipe
Neapolitan Cake makes quite a pretty presentation with chocolate and strawberry layers topped with a creamy vanilla frosting. This recipe is a snap to make using dolled up chocolate and white cake mixes.
Inspired by Doc
Prep Time: 1 hour Cook time: 50 minutes, total Yield: 1 large 6-layer cake
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup cream
- 1/3 cup strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 white cake mix
- 1 3-ounce package strawberry Jell-O
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 16-ounce package of frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed and pureed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
Creamy Vanilla Frosting (This is a big cake, so you will need a lot of icing)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pound package of powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 3 9-inch round cake pans.
- Combine ingredients and beat batter until smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour cake into prepared pans and bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove cake layers from pans 5 minutes after removing from oven. Allow layers to cool completely on rack before assembling.
- Prepare Strawberry Cake batter while Chocolate Cake is almost done baking. Follow the same instructions for the Chocolate Cake. If using the same 3 9-inch round cake pans used to bake the chocolate cake, be sure to rebutter and reflour before using them for the Strawberry Cake.
Frosting and Assembly
- When all the cake layers are completely cooled, prepare the frosting by beating together butter, vanilla extract and salt. Slowly beat in powdered sugar, then milk. Add a bit more powdered sugar if frosting is too thin or a bit more milk if frosting is too thick.
- Place a chocolate layer on a cake plate and frost top. Place a strawberry layer on top of the frosted chocolate layer and frost top. Repeat with alternating chocolate/strawberry layers. After all layers have been stacked in alternating cake flavors and the tops frosted, frost the sides of the cake.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.