Sep 22nd, 2010 by Lisa
Homemade Strawberry Jam Recipe
This recipe is so easy and fresh, I will never buy jarred jam again! I learned the method to test for jelling from Sweet Mary. In her blog, she states to boil the ingredients until you reach 220 degrees. However, I used a huge pasta pot to avoid spattering and could not test it with my candy thermometer without burning my hands (duh). It still turned out great boiling until it started to thicken and using the plate test.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Makes: about 2 1/2 cups
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, stem removed
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Juice of one lemon
- pinch of salt
- Place two small plates in the freezer. This will be used to determine when the jelly has jelled.
- In a large saucepan, crush the strawberries with a fork or use an stick hand blender.
- Add the sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and bring to a full boil while stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Boil the mixture for about 20 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally. Place a teaspoon on one of the frozen plates and run your finger through it. If it does not run back together, the jam is done.
- Since I made this for a party I just refrigerated it overnight. For canning instructions click here.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.