Jul 30th, 2012 by Lisa
Greek Rice Pudding Recipe
This amazing rice pudding recipe from Modern Greek by Andy Harris is now my favorite rice pudding recipe. The lemon zest gives it such a fresh flavor. I doubled the recipe to make enough for a crowd.
Inspired by Middlesex
Prep: 15 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes Serves: 8
- 9 cups milk
- 2/3 cup long-grain white rice, washed
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons cold milk
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Cinnamon for garnish
- Place the milk in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the rice, cinnamon stick and lemon zest and simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender. (I like my rice pudding on the mushy side so I cooked it a little longer)
- In a small saucepan, whisk the cold milk, cornstarch and egg yolks together and simmer over low heat until thickened.
- Add this mixture, together with the vanilla and sugar, to the milk and rice mixture. Simmer, stirring, for another 5 minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat. Set aside to cool, remove the cinnamon stick, and pour into 4 individual bowls.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Sprinkle with cinnamon before serving.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.