Grandma’s Pumpkin Pie Recipe
I love the smell of Grandma’s Pumpkin Pie baking in my kitchen every fall. It’s a smell that fills me with memories of Grandma and her pumpkin patch. Grandma’s recipe yielded 20 pies! I’ve scaled it down to yield just one and I use canned pumpkin!
Here’s more on Grandma.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 1 1/2 to 2 hours Yield: 1 large 9-inch pie
- Pie crust for a 9-inch deep dish single crust pie
- 2 15 ounce cans of pure pumpkin
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare pie crust and line a 9-inch deep dish pie pan with the crust.
- Combine pumpkin with the remaining ingredients until well blended. Pour into prepared pie crust. Smooth top of pie.
- Place pie in the 425 degree oven and immediately reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Bake pie for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Start checking pie at 15 minutes intervals when close to 1 1/2 hours of baking time approaches. A knife inserted in center should come out clean. If crust edges start over-browning, cover the edges with a pie crust shield or strips of foil.
- When pie is done baking, remove from oven and place on rack to cool completely.
- Just before serving, I like to whip up some sweetened cream that I dollop just on the center of the pie with a light sprinkle of nutmeg. It hides the knife insertion marks made during baking and tastes wonderful with pumpkin pie. Be sure to make extra whipped cream to place on individual slices, if desired.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.