May 4th, 2012 by Annie
Fiesta Flan Recipe
Start this wonderful fiesta flan very early in the day, or even the day before serving so the flan has plenty of time to cool and settle, and the flavors have time to meld.
Prep Time: 35 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes Serves: 10
- 1 cup sugar
- 24 ounces evaporated milk
- lemon zest from one lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Place 12 6-ounce custard cups* on baking sheet and place in preheated oven to warm the cups.
- Prepare the caramel topping by placing 1 cup of sugar in a non-stick frying pan. Over high heat stir constantly with a wooden spoon until sugar begins to melt. Reduce heat and continue to stir until sugar begins to caramelize. Reduce heat further and keep stirring until it becomes a butterscotch color. Do not let caramel topping get too dark otherwise it will taste burnt.
- Take baking sheet with custard cups out of oven and quickly pour caramel topping into each custard cup. Set aside.
- Prepare the flan custard by heating evaporated milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat. With kitchen rasp*, add zest of one lemon and cinnamon stick to saucepan. Bring to a vigorous boil, then lower heat and simmer for ten minutes. Remove and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- In bowl, mix the sugar, egg yolks and whole eggs together. Discard cinnamon stick and lemon strips from the cooled milk and add to mixture in the bowl. Whisk until well blended. Pour the flan into the custard cups.
- Arrange the custard cups in a baking dish. Pour an inch of water into the baking pan and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Flan is ready when knife inserted comes out clean. Carefully remove pan with cups from oven. Remove cups from baking pan and let cool for several hours. Then refrigerate for about 8 hours or overnight.
- Unmold the Fiesta Flan right before serving or you can serve it straight from the custard cups if you desire and place around a Sombrero and decorate with Edible Flowers or berries.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.