Ethereal Angel Food Cake Recipe
A tender and ethereally light Angel Food Cake with a bit of chocolate in the batter. I couldn’t find my tube pan (lost in kitchen remodel), so I baked this angel food cake in a 10-inch spring form pan. It turned out great. Since Angel Food Cake is so low in fat, I didn’t feel a bit guilty about covering it with my favorite fluffy white frosting.
Prep Time: 30 minutes Bake Time: 1 hour Yield: One large cake
- 10 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup water
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add egg whites to large mixing bowl and beat until foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar, and beat until thick soft peaks form. Very slowly beat in 3/4 cup sugar, then beat in vanilla.
- Sift flour with 1/2 cup sugar and the cocoa, then, with a rubber spatula, gently fold a quarter of the flour mixture at a time into the egg mixture. Pour cake batter into an ungreased 9 or 10-inch spring form pan*. Tap the pan on the counter to remove air bubbles. Bake for 50-60 minutes until the top springs back when lightly pressed. Allow cake to cool in pan for 5-10 minutes, then gently run a knife around the sides of pan before releasing the cake. Allow cake to cool completely before frosting.
- Bring water to boil in bottom of double boiler. In top of double boiler, not yet placed over boiling water, add all ingredients, except vanilla, and beat for 1 minute. Place pan over the boiling water making sure that the boiling water does not touch bottom of the pan.
- Beat constantly with hand-held electric mixer for about 7 minutes, until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla.
|A spring form pan, is the same pan typically used for baking cheese cake.
The 10-inch spring form pan pictured below is available at Amazon.com.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.