Oct 25th, 2010 by Annie
Choco-Espresso Witch’s Hat Cookies Recipe
Rich dark chocolate and espresso combine for a bewitchingly scrumptious, very adult cookie.
Inspired by The Heretic’s Daughter
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 8-10 minutes Yield: 3 dozen cookies
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 cups mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 12 ounce bag dark chocolate kisses
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In double boiler, melt the unsweetened chocolate, 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips, and butter, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat together eggs and sugar until mixture is thick and pale, about 5 minutes. Beat in instant espresso powder and vanilla. Continue beating until color is consistent throughout. Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, then fold in the flour mixture and remaining chocolate chips. Allow batter to stand for 15 minutes.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop cookies by teaspoon onto parchment paper.
Batter is more like brownie batter than cookie dough. With back of spoon flatten dough a bit into a circle-shape. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes. While cookies are baking, unwrap candy kisses. When done, remove cookies from oven. Cookies will be puffed up, but will fall flat. Immediately, place an unwrapped candy kiss gently in center of each cookie. Allow cookies to cool completely on parchment-lined baking sheets.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.