Jan 26th, 2011 by Marilyn
Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding with Bourbon Ice Cream Sauce Recipe
I don’t think I have ever tasted bread pudding before and I love it. I don’t know if this is a testament to bread pudding or this specific recipe. Tiffany adapted this recipe by substituting dried cherries for the raisins for our A Tree Grows in Brooklyn book club party.
Recipe compliments Michael Chiarello, FoodNetwork.com
Inspired by A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Servings: 6 servings
*For Bourbon Ice Cream Sauce, ice cream will need to be placed in the refrigerator the day before serving.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 12 croissants
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (original recipe calls for raisins)
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped small
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, combine butter and sugar process until well blended. Add cinnamon, and vanilla, and pulse to combine.
- While the processor is running crack 5 eggs into the mixture. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides. Add the heavy cream and pulse to combine.
- Lightly butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Break up the croissants into 1-inch pieces and layer in the pan. Scatter the raisins and shaved bittersweet chocolate over the top, and gently mix to incorporate. Pour the egg mixture over the croissants; soak for 8 to 10 minutes. You will need to push croissants pieces down during this time to ensure even coverage by egg mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for additional 10 minutes to brown the top. The croissant bread pudding is done when the custard is set, but still soft. Allow to cool.
Bourbon Ice Cream Sauce
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 ounces bourbon
Place ice cream in refrigerator the day before the party. At service, stir in bourbon and serve with bread pudding. This sauce can also be served with another dessert like vanilla or chocolate cake.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.