Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding Recipe
This bread pudding made with croissants, dried cherries, bittersweet chocolate, and topped with a bourbon ice cream sauce will make you forget all the bread puddings you’ve had before this one.
Recipe adapted from Michael Chiarello, FoodNetwork.com
Inspired by A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Servings: 6 servings
*For Bourbon Ice Cream Sauce, ice cream will need to be placed in the refrigerator the day before serving.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 12 croissants
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, combine butter and sugar process until well blended. Add cinnamon and pulse to combine.
- While the processor is running add vanilla, then crack 5 eggs into the mixture. Turn off the processor and scrape the bowl. Add heavy cream and pulse to combine. Set aside.
- Lightly butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Tear the croissants into 1-inch pieces and layer in the pan. Sprinkle the dried cherries and chopped chocolate over the top, and gently fold to incorporate. Pour the egg mixture over the croissants; soak for 8 to 10 minutes. You will need to push croissants pieces down during this time to ensure even coverage by egg mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for additional 10 minutes to brown the top. The croissant bread pudding is done when the custard is set, but still soft. Allow to cool.
Bourbon Ice Cream Sauce
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2 ounces bourbon
Place ice cream in refrigerator the day before the party. At service, stir in bourbon and serve with bread pudding. This sauce can also be served with another dessert like vanilla or chocolate cake.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.