Bananas Foster Chocolate Cake Recipe
This bananas foster cake was adapted from a recipe from Nestlé Toll House. The original recipe called for a package of Devil’s Food cake mix and a package of chocolate pudding mix, but I used a homemade chocolate cake recipe instead. The sprinkling of the chocolate chips on the cake batter prior to cooking gives this cake a rich flavor. The banana flavor is subtle and I think next time I make it I am going to add another banana to the recipe.
Inspired by Room
Prep: 20 minutes Cook time: 20-25 minutes Serves: 16
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups (about 2 large) finely chopped, firm ripe bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold coffee
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Morsels
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups (12-oz. package) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 container (16 ounces) prepared cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly coat three 9-inch-round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bananas Foster: Combine brown sugar and butter in medium, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave uncovered, on high power for 1 minute. Add chopped bananas, rum extract and cinnamon; stir. Microwave an additional 4 minutes, stirring once. Cool completely.
- Cake: Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, vanilla, sour cream, vegetable oil, coffee and milk in large mixer bowl. Beat on medium speed until well blended (batter will be thick). Pour 1/3 of batter into each prepared cake pan. Sprinkle each with a heaping tablespoon of mini morsels. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Frosting: Heat cream in uncovered, medium microwave-safe bowl on HIGH power for 1 1/2 minutes or just until boiling. Add morsels; let stand 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Cover; cool for 30 minutes.
- Place one cake layer on serving platter. Spread half the cream cheese frosting on cake. Spread half the banana mixture to 1/2-inch of edges. Top with second cake layer. Spread with remaining cream cheese frosting followed by remaining banana mixture. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread Chocolate Frosting over top and side of cake. Refrigerate until chocolate is set. Refrigerate leftover cake up to 24 hours.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.