Feb 16th, 2011 by Lisa
Almond Sponge Cookie Recipe
These light cookies have a delicious almond taste. The recipe calls for ground almonds and I find a coffee grinder works very well for this (I have a separate coffee grinder that I use when I cook). Although in The Elegance of the Hedgehog these cookies are finger shaped, I used my heart pan in honor of Valentine’s day.
Inspired by The Elegance of the Hedgehog
Click above link for book club party ideas for The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
Prep: 25 minutes Cook time: 7-10 minutes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup ground blanched almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks until thick and fluffy. Add the almond extract and beat until incorporated. Set aside.
- Using clean beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff. Add the sugar and continue beating until the egg whites are shiny with stiff peaks.
- Very gently fold the egg yolks into the egg whites, then fold in the dry ingredients until mixed well.
- Place the dough in desired mold. Bake at 350°F for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.