May 4th, 2012 by Annie
Mexican Bunuelos Recipe
Bunuelos are Latin flat breads, fried crisp and sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. Bunuelos are very addictive!
Inspired by Caramelo
Prep Time: 45 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes, in all Yield: 24 bunuelos
- 1 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil, for frying bunuelos
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Bring water with cinnamon stick to boil. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick from water and discard cinnamon stick. Reserve water.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix in butter. Add 3/4 cup of reserved cinnamon flavored water. If dough is too sticky add a bit more cinnamon water.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface or Silpat and knead for about 3 minutes until soft and pliant. Cover dough and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Pinch off dough pieces and roll into about 24 golf ball size balls with tortilla pin. Cover balls and allow dough balls to rest for about 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in frying pan. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in bowl and set aside. Roll dough out with rolling pin until very thin. Fry bunuelos until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with sugar cinnamon mixture.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.