Aug 16th, 2011 by Annie
Crusty Spanish Bread Recipe
Inspired by The Shadow of the Wind and The Paris Wife
Prep Time: 4 1/2 hours Cook Time: 30-45 minutes Yield: 1 loaf
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast (1 package)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cup very warm water (110-115°F)
- 3 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In small bowl, mix yeast, sugar, and water together. Place bowl in warm place for 10 minutes.
- In bowl of stand mixer, sift together flour and salt. Make a well in the center of flour. Add the salt and olive to the well. Slowly pour the yeast mixture into the well while working dough with hands. Place dough on a floured surface and knead dough until it becomes firm and elastic, 5-10 minutes.
- Grease bowl and place dough in it. Turn dough over in bowl until covered with oil. Cover bowl with a damp cloth and place in warm place for about an hour, until doubled.
- Remove dough and on floured surface knead again to remove air pockets and until the dough feels smooth. Return the dough to the greased bowl and allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Form dough into loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet or preferably a baking stone. Cut diagonal slits in top of bread. Let bread rise another 30 minutes or until tops of bread begin to flatten.
- Bake bread for 30 to 45 minutes or until tops become toasted and the bread sounds hollow when tapped on bottom. Cool on rack. Delicious served with Spanish olive oil.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.