Anjero (Traditional Somali Pancake) Recipe
I am not sure of the exact name of the traditional somali pancake as I have seen it spelled many ways: anjara, anjero and lahooh. In “Infidel”, it was called angello and rolled with butter and sugar.
This recipe is from MySomaliFood.com. The original recipe makes 4 pancakes but I made them thinner by using less batter per pancake so I could roll them easier.
Inspired by Infidel
Prep: 8 minutes Cook time: 3-5 minutes Servings: 8
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal, fine
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients together until smooth. Add more milk if necessary to form a pancake batter consistency.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or nonstick pan on medium heat.
- Add 1/8 of the batter to the skillet, starting in the middle and circling outwards clockwise.
- Just cook one side until golden brown.
- Serve with butter and sugar.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.