Aug 6th, 2010 by Lisa
Rolos Caramel Apple Recipe
Using the Rolos for these caramel apples gives you the caramel and chocolate in one step. The red apple in the back is an experiment (not really a successful one) I tried with gummy worms.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Serves: 5
- 5 apples
- 5 popsicle sticks
- 1 12 ounce bag of Hershey’s Rolos
- 2 tablespoons of shortening
- Toppings. I used chocolate sprinkles, chopped nuts and caramel.
- Spray wax paper with cooking spray and set aside.
- Using a slotted spoon place the apples in boiling water for 5 seconds. Dry with a towel to remove the wax and place in the freezer.
- Melt the Rolos and shortening in a double broiler.
- Roll the apples in the melted Rolos, using a spoon to be sure the apples get covered. Scrape off the excess caramel from the bottom of the apple with the spoon.
- Roll the apples into the topping. Place on the wax paper and let harden in the refrigerator.
Gummy worm apple: I melted a handful of gummy worms in the double broiler and rolled the apple in it. The smell was amazing! The apple looks nice, but is was very hard to bite through the gummy coating. The kids loved them, but they just peeled the gummy off and left the apple pretty much intact.
Copyright © 2013 ButteryBooks.com All Rights Reserved.